Elecciones General del Perú 2021: ¿Cómo los Peruanos residentes de Nueva York pueden votar?March 19, 2021
Our beloved fiesta patriota is fast approaching and I compiled a list with different events happening around nuestro Dia de independencia. So Peruanos, pick your preferred way to commemorate el mes patrio and celebrate accordingly.
- Filmed in Peru at NYU KJCC: From July 19-21, NYU’s CLACS in partnership with the Consulate of Peru in New York organized a showcase of Peruvian films. This event is entrance free and you must RSVP, to see the full schedule visit filmedinperu.com
- Mass at St. Patrick’s Cathedral: the consulate of Peru in New York is hosting its annual mass at St Patrick’s Cathedral in commemoration of Peruvian Independence Day. The mass is on Sunday, July 23 at 4pm.
- Raising of the Peruvian flag: The Consulate of Peru in New York is hosting this tribute to our Peruvian flag and our Mes Patrio. This will take place on Thursday July 27 at 4pm in Bowling Green Park
- Peruvian Heritage Day: organized by Stefano Navarro. On Wednesday, July 26, we will be celebrating the contributions that Peruvians have made to the city of New York. There will be folklore shows, food tastings, and the recognition of prominent peruanos, Edilberto Alvarado and Monica Carrillo. The event will take place at New York City Hall at 5:30pm. Space is limited, RSVP here: https://council.nyc.gov/events/rsvp/?event=PERU2023
- Free Afro-Peruvian Class in Midtown: On Wednesday, July 26, Talia Castro-Pozo will be hosting a free Afro-Peruvian class in Herald Square Plaza at 6pm taught by the talented Cynthia Paniagua.
- Puro Floro Peruvian Celebration: Peruvian artist, Niceli Portugal, is hosting an event on Governors Island as part of her residency with Transborder Art. The event will be taking place from 1pm -5pm.
- The Peruana Collective at Don Ceviche in Essex Street Market: On July 28, our community of peruanas is taking over Essex Street Market in the lower east side, and joining the festivities of Don Ceviche. A Peruvian DJ will be playing the best of Peruvian music from 4pm-6pm, and a conjunto criollo will do a live performance from 6pm-8pm. Don Ceviche will be serving its regular menu along with some specials like Arroz con Pato. To RSVP click here: https://tr.ee/LZrGKjimYY
- Fiesta Criolla at Kausa: last year I hosted a fiesta criolla at Kausa and it was SO much fun. This year, they are doing it again and bringing a conjunto criollo to perform live. The fiesta starts at 7pm and there will be food specials. Find restaurant details here and watch this video of last year’s Fiestas Patrias event.
- Peruvian Independence Day at Popular: lush and hip Popular restaurant throws some cool parties and this year they are bringing the talented Araceli Pomars and her band, Afro-Andean Funk, to perform while attendees enjoy a pre-fix menu. Chef Diego Muñoz, partnered with Chef Oscar Lorenzzi of Contento, Chef Erick Ramirez of Llama Inn, Chef Jose Luis Chavez of Mission Ceviche and Chef Juan Urrutia of Osaka to create a multi course pre-fixe menu served family style ($165.00 per person). Rsvp here: https://resy.com/cities/ny/venues/popular/events/peruvian-independence-day-2023-2023-07-28
- Andean and Peruvian Diaspora Picnic: organized by the Peruvian Adoptees and with the aim to connect the Andean diaspora and adoptees. Event takes place at Mccarren Park, Brooklyn from 12pm-5pm on Saturday, July 29. More information here.
Now that you know where to celebrate Fiestas Patrias, which event(s) will you be attending?
I look forward to celebrating our beloved Peru and our Independencia!! Que viva el Peru!!
-Peruvian Chica in NYC