If you did not know this past Saturday was the beginning of SUMMER STREETS IN NYC, an annual celebration of our NYC streets, and a reminder to us New Yorkers to use more sustainable ways of transportation. This event takes place for three consecutive Saturdays in August: 5th,12th and 19th between 7am to 1pm.
Along 7 miles, from 72nd street and Park ave to Centre Street (Brookyln Bridge entrance), you will find several REST STOPS, which each has fun activities going on. Here a brief summary of what each REST STOP has to offer:
- Central Park Rest Stop: located at 72nd street and Park ave. You will find the LG Quadwash Water Park, a giant inflatable water park sponsored by LG Quadwash dishwasher. You will also find origami workshops lead by the Asia Society.
- Uptown Rest Stop: located at 53rd street and East and West. Among the many things to do in this area, you will find the Adventure Zone: educational workshops and demos such as how to survival in the wilderness or start a fire and even how to load a backpack. A bouldering wall set up by the Brooklyn Boulders Foundation (check my post about bouldering). There’s a booth from I LOVE NY where you can learn about all the great places New York state has to offer and decide where you can go on your next vacay. Bike rentals will be in this area too, as well as an environmental zone and urban agriculture workshops. The one I’m the most excited about is the ZIPLINE (must arrive before 8am to secure a spot).
- Midtown Rest Stop: located at 26th street between Park ave and Madison ave. Here there is a health and fitness zone, from yoga to boot camp and even salsa and CPR classes. Booths of the New York Road Runners, NYC Parks Mobile Fitness Unit, Learn to Ride Classes for Kids and Recycle A Bicycle workshop. There is also a TASTE OF SUMMER SAMPLING ZONE, where you can find various vendors to get yummy treats and refreshing beverages. A main stage with performances and cooking lessons is located in this stop.
- Astor Place Rest Stop: located at Astor Place and Lafatette street. You will find a CITI MOBILE EVEREST 360, a 360’ journey to the summit of Mount Everest. Others are Mini Golf course, workshops, hydration booth and my favorite: Paws and Play Dog Park
- Soho Rest Stop: located at Lafayette and Spring street. This stop is all about working out, there’s a Fitness Stage with different classes from Zumba to Yoga. A kids bike Park by Clif and a experimental sculpture
- Foley Square Rest stop: located at Lafayette st and Worth street. All about the FUN, go and get on the Vita Coco Beach Featuring the Beachside Slide. Demos of adaptive basketball and hand cycle will be taken place here. Also, the NY Knicks ambassadors will be in this stop.
Now that you have a brief idea of what is happening for the next two Saturdays and you are looking for fun activities to do solo, with your friends or with the family, Citi NYC Summer streets may be the best option for you!
Most activities are free of charge, some of them required registration in advance. For more information visit: http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/summerstreets/html/route/activities.shtml
-Peruvian Chica in NYC