I have been away for a couple of months due to personal issues but I’m back and I’m so excited to be back because summer is here and there are so many great things to do in New York City!
So let me start with some suggestions for this week:
1. NY Philarmonic @ Central Park, Wednesday 17th: NY Philarmonic is performing at the Great Lawn in Central Park FOR FREE! Show starts at 8pm but is highly recommended to be there a couple of hours in advance. Entrance is on 81st or 86st streets West or 79th or 85th st at Fifth Ave. Westside entrances: Bring your blanket, drinks, food, and enjoy the show!
2. Swedish Midsummer Festival @ Battery Park, Friday 19th: The Swedish Midsummer Festival is presented by Battery Park City Parks Conservancy and co-hosted by the Consulate General of Sweden in New York. The event is part of the #SwedenInThePark concept, a series of outdoor events showcasing Swedish culture. Here you will be see several artists performing, find delicious food, and even play traditional games. Even will take place from 5pm to 8pm.
3. Mermaid Parade @ Coney Island, Saturday 20th: The Mermaid Parade is the largest art parade in the nation. A celebration of ancient mythology and honky-tonk rituals of the seaside, it showcases over 1,500 creative individuals from all over the five boroughs and beyond, opening the summer with incredible art, entrepreneurial spirit and community pride. The event takes place along Surf avenue, feel free to dress up or just be there to watch, it’s a great time overall. Parade starts at 1pm.
4. Inti Raymi @ Smithsonian National Museum of American Indian, Saturday 20th: For those who are into Andean culture this event is perfect for you. The Festival of the Sun, a.k.a Inti Raymi, is celebrated every year during the winter solstice of the Andean. This day is known for being the shortest day of the year in the Andes, and it’s celebrated in Peru, Bolivia and Ecuador. In Peru this a big celebration that takes place in Saqsayhuaman. The event runs from 1 to 4pm and music and dance will be showcased.
5. Solstice @ Times Square, Sunday 21st: Free yoga at Times Square’s pedestrian plaza. If you are a yogi then this is the perfect event for you, where you will be able to meet other yogis and enjoy a free outdoor yoga session. Athleta will be giving away mats for free as well. Click here to find out classes schedule and to register: http://www.timessquarenyc.org/events/solstice-in-times-square/index.aspx#.VYD8sfl_NBc
Hope to see you in one of these events!
PS: Photos were taken from each Facebook’s events.
-Peruvian Chica in NYC